Employee Organizational Chart
Donated by Dr. Rodney Levine, Accession 14.0044.001
Laboratories of Cellular Physiology & Metabolism (1950-1962), Biochemistry (1962-1974), and Cellular Biochemistry (1974)
This is a historical organization chart of the original Laboratory of Cellular Physiology and Metabolism that was started by Dr. Christian Anfinsen at what was then the National Heart Institute (now the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NHLBI), when he was recruited by NIH director Dr. James Shannon in 1950. The chart was prepared in 1974 for the 25th anniversary of the NHLBI, and shows how various laboratories and sections evolved from Anfinsen’s original laboratory, listing all of the scientists who worked in them through 1974. Anfinsen was chief of the Laboratory until 1962. He joined the National Institute of Arthritis and Metabolic Diseases (now the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases) in 1963. Learn more (PDF).
As evidenced by this chart, Anfinsen’s legacy was much broader than his own work. He mentored dozens of young scientists who went on to their own distinguished careers, such as NIH director Donald Fredrickson. Anfinsen’s broad interests meant that he had an impact in many fields other than basic protein research; for example, he was instrumental in bringing the concepts and techniques of protein chemistry to the study of antigens and antibodies, which has influenced the development of immunology.
Anfinsen left the NIH in 1981, to join the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel.
Donated by Dr. Rodney Levine