Erminio Costa (1924–2009)
Erminio Costa, Ph.D., a discoverer of how serotonin works demonstrated the importance of neurotransmitter turnover rates in understanding neuronal function. He also determined that anti-anxiety drugs act by facilitating inhibitory brain mechanisms and that receptors function as supramolecular entities where transmitters and co-transmitters act to assure synaptic plasticity. He was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1982.
• Tribute by Floyd Bloom in Neuropharmacology, 2011 (PDF, 125 kB)
• Tribute by Francesco Della Valle in Pharmacological Research, 2011 (PDF, 130 kB)
• Tribute by Dennis Grayson and Alessandro Guidotti in Nature, 2010 (PDF, 75 kB)
• Tribute by Norton H. Neff and Maria Hadjiconstantinou in Pharmacological Research, 2011 (PDF, 181 kB)
• Tribute by G. C. Salmoiraghi and Abel Lajtha in Neurochemical Research, 1990 (PDF, 615 kB)
• Obituary in Washington Post, 2009 (PDF, 78 kB)