THE ARCHIVAL COLLECTION

Hygienic Laboratory Building THE HYGIENIC LABORATORY (NOW THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH) WAS LOCATED AT 25TH AND E STREETS, WASHINGTON, D.C. ON THE GROUNDS OF THE NAVAL OBSERVATORY FROM 1904 TO 1938 WHEN IT WAS MOVED TO ITS CURRENT LOCATION IN BETHESDA, MARYLAND.

The Office of NIH History preserves materials that are considered non-permanent but relevant to the history of the National Institutes of Health. The Office collections include secondary sources of materials, including anniversary publications, ready-reference materials and biographical files. The Office of NIH History assists researchers, scholars and the general public in navigating the complex structure of the NIH to find resources for their use.

Since the establishment of the Hygienic Laboratory in 1887, important materials documenting medical research, discoveries and notable scientists who served at the National Institutes of Health have been preserved at the National Archives & Records Administration. NARA maintains responsibility for acquiring the records of the NIH in Record Group (RG) 90 and Record Group 443. The National Library of Medicine complements the National Archives holdings with collections of NIH materials. The NIH Library, NLM and the Office of NIH History share an ongoing committment to share resources.

 

top of page

Office of History and Stetten Museum | Bldg 60 | Suite 230 | National Institutes of Health | Bethesda, MD 20814-1460
Phone: 301.496.6610 | Email: history@nih.gov
Freedom of Information Act

Last updated: 15 April 2016
First published: 2 February 2005
Permanence level
Permanent: Dynamic Content