1949 Dr. James Shannon,
leader of the antimalarial research effort at Goldwater,
was named director of the laboratories and clinics
of the newly created National Heart Institute (NHI)
at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda,
Maryland. He recruited researchers from Goldwater,
including lab technician Julius
Axelrod and Drs. Bernard
Brodie, Sidney Udenfriend,
Robert Berliner, and
Robert Bowman. Because
of their interest in fluorescence in medicine that
originated with antimalarial drug research, one
of the group's early projects was the development
of a new instrument that could help them learn more
about how fluorescence could be utilized in scientific
Robert Bowman of the Laboratory of Technical Development
took the lead on the project in the early 1950s.
He was known for his talent in instrument-making,
an indispensable skill in a research environment
where scientists need good tools with which to test
their theories and to lead them to new ideas.
The Laboratory of Technical Development at the National
Heart Institute, early 1950s. Front row, left to
right: Johnnie B. Langer, Hillary V. Trantham, Dr.
Bert R. Boone, Robert E. Gorman, Patricia A. Caulfield.
Back row, left to right: Dr. Harold J. Morowitz,
Dr. Robert L. Bowman, Norman M. Garrahan, Dr. John
L. Stephenson, Frank W. Noble.